The First mobile phone was introduced by Motorola in 1973 and the first call was made to a rival telecommunication company to inform them that the call was being made using a mobile phone! Fast forward to 24 years later and the basis of a modern day mobile phone came into existence. Nokia Corporation (ADR) (NYSE:NOK) was the first company to bring a basic mobile device to us. Since then, the dynamics of a mobile phone have changed from a feature phone to smartphone and now 2-in-1 tablets and phablets. The mobile phones have been subjected to major design and technology changes. There have been bar phones, clamshell handsets, slider phones, QWERTY phones and the much-in-use touch screen phones.
It’s extremely hard to imagine our lives without a mobile phone today. The mobile has become pertinent in everything, be it mobile shopping or accessing social media or being connected. To depict the lifecycle of a mobile consumer, Vouchercloud has launched an infographic, Portrait of a Mobile Consumer.
- In 2018, mobile traffic generated per month per device is expected to increase approximately 5x the traffic generated in 2013.
- Mobile videos will continue to generate the maximum traffic by 2018.
- The network downstream speed doubled from 2012 to 2013 and its expected to increase similarly there of.
- M-commerce sales in 2018 will be equal to e-commerce sales in 2013.
- Almost 50% of the people trust in emails they signed for, ads in magazines, television, outdoor advertizing and brand sponsorship.
- Consumers are more informed about the choices they make.
- Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB) boasts of 1.23 billion active users, however, according to latest quarterly report Facebook has got 1.27 billion monthly active users by the end of Q1, 2014.
We are now the fourth generation of mobile users, where the use of mobile phone is not limited to making calls. A mobile device a multi-faceted feature used for playing games, browsing internet, watching videos, synchronizing our day-to-day activities and keeping a check.