Usage of rich media content like images, videos, infographics is on a steady rise, as marketers and content makers are trying to convey messages in more convincing ways and increase engagement rates. Social media titan, Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB) recently introduced video ads, thumbnail images were made wider and bigger thereby saving the users’ efforts of clicking the image and traversing to different browsing pages for a magnified view. Micro-blogging site Twitter Inc. (NYSE:TWTR) also introduced visual tweets which facilitate viewing of images and videos links well within the tweet. Niche networking sites like Pinterest and Instagram are increasingly gaining in popularity due to soothing and attractive images and videos posted by users across the globe. Usage of images is vital to gain more attention and traffic to brand websites.
Well-known free marketing tips provider SMW (Social Marketing Writing) had compiled interesting facts, figures and tips pertaining to usage of images in social media brand posts. A few key findings are listed below.
- Nearly 92.6% of shoppers make their buying decisions based on the visual factor associated with social media posts.
- About 65% of all people are visual learners. Hence, it is vital to have a significant amount of visual factor in the social media brand posts.
- Photos on Facebook get 53% more likes than an average post and visual tweets on Twitter receive 150% more re-tweets.
- Pinterest, a photo sharing website worth $3.8 billion has more than 70 million users and it has more than 80% of shared content on its site (Re-pins). Users consider it as sticky platform and spend hours together, due to the attractive image content on the site.
- Another fast-growing photo sharing app Instagram has over 150 million users who actively post photos and generate engagement in form of comments and likes.
- Light tall images with multi-dominant colors and 50% saturation are most popular on Pinterest, whereas Instagram, which is known for sharing of images with vintage look, low saturated, high textured images with single dominant color, is most engaging for users.
- Nearly 70% of Pinterest users are women and 58% of Facebook users are men. About 64% of Google+ users and 54% of YouTube users are male. Hence brand marketers must effectively utilize the relevant platform based on their target audience.
- Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and Twitter are dominated by users in the age group of 18-29 years. Whereas Pinterest has more users in the adult age group under 50.
- Cooking, Nutrition, Food and Fitness are among the topics most searched on Facebook, whereas tech and social media are the top most searches on Twitter.
- Marketers must focus on involving more of infographics quotes, humorous cartoons and run contests based on images, as they are more engaging for users.
- Blog posts, links within the post and web pages must be accompanied with quality images to increase traffic to websites.
- Almost 85% of the reason, people decide to buy something is the color, hence one must make use of attractive and appealing colors like red, orange and royal blue.
Source: Social Marketing Writing