Web Browser Market Share Worldwide by Month

The below graph represents the monthly distribution of the top 10 web browser market share worldwide, starting from January 2009 to the recently completed month. Interestingly, the world’s top 3 web browsers now capture 86.75% of the total market, leaving other browsers to compete for the remaining 13.25% of the market.

More Actionable Insights

The above graph represents the monthly distribution of the top 10 web browser market share worldwide, starting from January 2009 to the recently completed month. The world’s top web browsers include Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Samsung Internet, UC Browser, Edge, etc. that run on Desktops/Laptops, mobiles, and tablets. Interestingly, the world’s top 3 web browsers now capture 86.75% of the total market, leaving other browsers to compete for the remaining 13.25% of the market.

World’s Most Popular Web Browsers by Market Share

RegionWorldwide
SourceStatCounter
Graph ID437
PlatformDesktop, Mobile & Tablet

Google Chrome is leading the global web browser market with 62.57% share as of April 2020 . That’s nearly 0.31 percent point decline from the same period last year when when Chrome market share stood at 62.88%, across all platforms (Desktop, mobile and tablet).

Apple’s Safari is the second widely used web browser, only on Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, Mac. As of April 2020, Safari browser runs on approximately 19.97% of all Apple devices worldwide. That’s an appreciable 4.12% YoY and 1.59% M-o-M increase in Safari market share worldwide.

Mozilla Firefox remains the world’s third most popular web browser, however its market share has declined drastically over the last 10 years. Firefox usage share declined from a 29.41% in April 2009 to an all-time low 4.21% in April 2020.

Samsung Internet remained the 4th widely used web browser in the world, holding 3.41% share as of April 2020.

In March 2020, Edge overtook UC browser to become the world’s 5th most popular most used web browser. However, despite three years of its launch, Microsoft Edge still commands only 2.15% share of the web browser market worldwide across all platforms as of April 2020.

About Web Browsers: Additional Information

A web browser is a software application that people use for accessing the information on the World Wide Web (www). The popular web browsers include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, Edge, etc.

The world’s first web browser – WorldWideWeb (later renamed to Nexus) – was created in 1990 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. However, it was discontinued in 1994.

On August 16, 1995, Microsoft released Internet Explorer, which soon became the world’s widely used web browser across all platforms. In fact, due to its immense popularity, the market share of Internet Explorer browser even peaked at over 95% in 2002. However, its usage of Microsoft IE started declining slowly after the launch of Firefox in 2004 and Google Chrome in 2008.

Currently, Google Chrome is the world’s most used web browser across all platforms such as desktop/laptop, mobile, and tablet.

Apple released Safari browser on January 7, 2003. Safari comes as the default browser on all Apple devices including iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, etc.


The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.