Desktop Browser Market Share Worldwide by Month

The below graph represents the monthly distribution of the desktop browser market share worldwide. Interestingly, the world's top 3 desktop browsers now capture 86.64% of the total market, leaving other browsers to compete for the remaining 13.36% of the market as of June 2020.

More Actionable Insights

The above graph represents the monthly distribution of the desktop browser market share worldwide. Interestingly, the world’s top 3 desktop browsers now capture 86.64% of the total market, leaving other browsers to compete for the remaining 13.36% of the market. Google Chrome has been dominating the worldwide desktop browser market for the last 8 years. This is followed by the Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

RegionWorldwide
SourceStatCounter
Graph ID783
DurationJan 2009 to June 2020

According to the StatCounter, Chrome browser accounted for a whopping 69.42% share of the total desktop browser market in June 2020. This was a 1.29 percentage point decline from the same period a year ago when the Chrome desktop browser market share was 70.71%.

Apple’s Safari browser which runs only on iOS devices captured 8.74% of the desktop browser market, globally. That’s a significant 3.1 percent point increase in Safari market share in June 2020, from June 2019 when the Safari was running only on 5.64% of the MAC devices, worldwide.

Firefox currently stands at the third spot in the global desktop market, but the market share has consistently ben declining since January 2020. Mozilla’s Firefox share in the desktop market declined from 9.87% in January to 9.18% in April month.

Microsoft Edge market share hit an all-time high in April 2020; Microsoft Edge browser manages a bit over 4.86% market share on traditional PCs and laptops (except Apple Safari).

Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, once the most widely used web browser, has secured the 5th spot in the worldwide desktop browser market with just 3.26% share as of April 2020.

Top Desktop Browser Market Share: History!

As the graph shows, Microsoft’s Internet Explorer was dominating the global desktop market with over 50% share between January 2009 and August 2010. After that, it started declining due to the popularity of the Chrome browser. It was the first time in October 2016 when the share of IE in the global desktop market declined to single digits i.e. 9.73%. At that time, the Google’s Chrome was running on 63.19% of all desktop and laptop devices.

Microsoft launched its Edge browser for Windows 10 and Xbox One in July 2015. The adoption of Edge browser on desktop/laptop devices was comparatively low – increased from 0.82% in August 2015 to 3.11% in August 2016. It was March 2016, when Edge overtook Opera in global desktop market. The desktop market share of Edge browser stood at 2.15% in March 2016, while Opera accounted for only 1.96%.

As of September 2019,

About Web Browsers: Additional Information

A web browser is a software application that people use for accessing the information on the World Wide Web (www). The popular web browsers include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, Edge, etc.

The world’s first web browser – WorldWideWeb (later renamed to Nexus) – was created in 1990 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. However, it was discontinued in 1994.

On August 16, 1995, Microsoft released Internet Explorer, which soon became the world’s widely used web browser across all platforms. In fact, due to its immense popularity, the market share of Internet Explorer browser even peaked at over 95% in 2002. However, its usage of Microsoft IE started declining slowly after the launch of Firefox in 2004 and Google Chrome in 2008.

Currently, Google Chrome is the world’s most used web browser across all platforms such as desktop/laptop, mobile, and tablet.

Apple released Safari browser on January 7, 2003. Safari comes as the default browser on all Apple devices including iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, etc.


The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.