For the first time in almost a decade, Youtube Strikes System is updated, relaxing the norms for content creators who violate the video-sharing platform’s content policy.

Beginning February 25, content creators on YouTube will now get a consequence-free one-time warning before receiving a strike. This effectively means that they will not be penalized in any other form except having to remove the offensive content.

The update is aimed at providing greater consistency and transparency around policy violations.

“This is to make sure everyone takes the time to learn about our Community Guidelines,” YouTube says.

Youtube Strikes System: Greater Consistency And Transparency

Content creators found to be violating YouTube content policy after this first warning will then face action as per the existing three-strike penalty system. The strike system is YouTube’s primary way of monitoring the content uploaded across its platform and keep the platform from getting abused by video content creators.

Like before, the strike comes with increasing penalties which will be reset if the channel does not violate the rules during that 90 day period.

First strike- One week ban on uploading any fresh content, including live streaming, and other channel activities. The first strike will expire after 90 days.

Second strike– Another penalty during the 90-day period invites a two-week freeze on uploading or streaming any fresh content.

Third strike- A third strike within the 90-day period leads to termination of the content creator’s channel.

Strikes are reset every 90 days with violating content being taken off YouTube but the warning is only a one-time deal which will not be reset.

“Previously, not all strikes had the same penalty on your channel. We heard from many of you that this was confusing and the penalty didn’t match the source of the strike,” YouTube explained in a blog post. “Now, based on your feedback, all Community Guidelines strikes will have the same penalty.”

YouTube went on to explain that 98% of the content creators never break any community guidelines. Out of the 2% who do violate them and get a first strike, 94% of those do not get a second strike.

The standard YouTube procedure was to issue the erring content creators a strike notice via an email, which would often leave them confused. As per the new policy, YouTube will also specify the reasons for inviting the strike. Additionally, they will also get mobile notifications regarding the same.

Apart from revising the warning system, YouTube is also introducing a uniform penalty for all sorts of content violations. As per the existing Youtube penalty system, content creators were given different penalties for violations regarding stories, video content, custom thumbnails and links to other websites in the description box. This had caused a lot of confusion among the content creator community across the channel and YouTube will now impose the same penalties for all types of content related violations on the basis of feedback submitted by them.

YouTube said that the changes have been initiated on the request of creators who have asked for, “… consistent enforcement, clear policies, and transparency about the impact of a strike.”

The updates, however, apply only to YouTube’s community guidelines which should not be confused with the copyright strike system. The video streaming platform will continue to issue copyright strikes to content creators without any warning strike.

It is clear that YouTube wishes to introduce greater transparency and consistency into its mode of functioning.

Let us hope that the updated Youtube penalty system will lessen content creators’ confusion as to what can or cannot invite a penalty or strike.

Paid Listing