Photographs are the still being considered humans’ best friend – despite of emergence and higher adoption of video. One of the main reasons behind such charm is it’s almost null dependencies and instant availability to recreate virtual environment of those old memorable days. Indeed, Camera and played the vital role in this and people are still fascinated towards owning and carrying it everywhere as their best mate.
However, with the emergence of social media and technology growth, the shape, size and design of camera has also covered various section of its existence. Now, a camera – which was probably the only digital mobile device till 1995 – is no more ‘need-to-have’ gadget for general people; as technology has diverted people to adopt MFDs (Multi-functional device) more than standalone devices.
While Mobile has addressed such need Social media gave wings to adoption. Though, people are becoming more and more picture friendly and people are clicking more snaps today than before, sales of standalone Camera devices are slumping with each passing day; Thanks to mobile devices having inbuilt better-than-before camera.
To expose many more astounding facts, history of camera, growth and decline of camera business, social media and photos, and the adoption of mobile phone as the best replacement of traditional camera, here is an interesting infographic.
Here are few interesting highlights of the infographic, courtesy of Overgram – an app that let’s users place their text over photos:
- Till today, more than 3.5 Trillion photos have been taken since the first photo was clicked in 1826.
- First digital photograph came from moon in 1960
- First electronic commercial camera was built by Sony, released in August 1981
- Facebook bought Image sharing online network “Instagram” by paying $1.01 billion in April 2012. Interestingly Instagram didn’t make a single rupee business till acquisition.
- Worldwide, there are more than 741 million mobiles that have some type of photo clicking ability.
Courtesy of Overgram