Mobile industry, yesterday, witnessed the arrival of Nvidia’s revolutionary Tegra 3 SoC ( System-on-chip ) powered with Quad-Core processor and 12 Core Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) for smartphones and tablets. With the announcement of Tegra 3 chipsets, Nvidia has set all new performance standards for mobile devices as Tegra 3 delivers three times the graphics performance and 61 percent lower power consumption than its predecessor, Tegra 2 chipset. Nvidia has introduced a new technology called vSMP which uses a fifth CPU Core working at lower frequencies for lower battery consumption when its handling non-demanding tasks. Smartphones using Tegra 3 chipsets will be able to run games with console-like graphics. ASUS had already announced Eee Pad Transformer Prime tablet which will be using super Tegra 3 Soc and will be available in market probably in December 2011.
Tegra 3 Key Features as stated by Nvidia are :
- The world’s first quad-core ARM Cortex A9 CPU
- New patent-pending vSMP technology, including a fifth CPU core that runs at a lower frequency and operates at exceptionally low power
- 12-core GeForce GPU, with 3x the graphics performance of the Tegra 2 processor, including support for stereoscopic 3D
- New video engines with support for 1080p high profile video at 40 Mbps
- Up to 3x higher memory bandwidth
- Up to 2x faster Image Signal Processor
These key features of Tegra 3 is a boom for Mobile Gaming industry. Developers can design games featuring complex rag-doll physics, dynamic shaders, console quality water simulation, enhanced particle effects and shaders, motion blur and more features. Around 40 games are expected to be available at the end of 2011 and 15 Tegra 3 games are already under development like Shadowgun, Riptide GP, Sprinkle, Big Top THD, Bladeslinger, DaVinci THD and Chidori.
“Tegra 3 is a marvel. Its quad-core CPU, 12-core GeForce GPU and vSMP technology are revolutionary. We worked closely with NVIDIA to build the ultimate tablet – the Eee Pad Transformer Prime – that delivers a magical, uncompromised experience to consumers.” ,says Jerry Shen, CEO at ASUS.
Some of the videos showing the capability of Tegra 3 chips are given below.