Happy Birthday Vinod Khosla: The Indian Tech Mogul

Must Read

New RBI Guidelines Force You To Memorise All Of Your Card Details

It's time to get your brain prepped to do some much-needed homework and commit to memory the...

Bounce Layoff: Bike Rental Startup To Pivot Into New Vertical

Bike-rental startup Bounce has laid off a massive chunk of its workforce in a bid to survive...

Zomato Beefs Up Valuation Prior To IPO In Its Latest Fundraising Round!

Before heading to the stock market with an IPO, the homegrown food delivery startup Zomato beefs up...

Vinod Khosla is an IIT graduate, an Indian American engineer, a businessman and a venture capitalist. He is the most influential venture capitalist in America, assisting and investing in various companies ranging from video games, multimedia to internet software. Born to an Indian Army officer, Vinod Khosla got fascinated with technology at an early age. In his teenage, he had once read about the founding of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), which inspired him to pursue his career in technology.

Everybody else is afraid to fail, I do not really care because when I fail, I try something new.

It was Khosla who visualized the amalgamation of Fiber optics and internet that has made the communication cheaper and faster.

In 1981, Vinod Khosla co-founded Daisy Systems Inc., computer-aided design software for electrical engineers, with Dave Stamm and Harvey Jones. Soon, he became irksome by designing the hardware and quit the venture.

Advertisements

Always being an opportunist and an optimist, Vinod co-founded Sun Microsystems on 24 February 1982 with his Stanford classmate Andreas Bechtolsheim from Germany. Sun Microsystems was subsequently, acquired by Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL) for $7.4 billion in 2010.

In 2004, Vinod Khosla founded Khosla Ventures, which revolutionised the industries with its path-breaking work and strategies.

Vinod Khosla

Interestingly, he was the man who changed the course of microprocessing industry. Vinod challenged Intel’s monopoly by establishing AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) (the microprocessor that significantly challenged Intel’s microprocessors).

Born: 28 January 1955, Delhi, India

Net Worth: $2.7 billion

Advertisements

Graduation from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi), master’s in Biomedical engineering from Carnegie-Mellon University and MBA from Stanford University, Vinod Khosla became one of the most influential personalities of Silicon Valley. Listed below are some of his ventures and traits:

  • His first venture was in the soy milk industry. At an early age of 20, his business targeted a section of poor Indians who couldn’t afford refrigerators. Unfortunately, this venture sank and Khosla moved to the US for higher studies.
  • He masterminded the removal of Cisco and crowning of Juniper Networks as the new king of the router market. With the immense knowledge of investment and global market, Khosla has helped various firms including Viant, Lightera, Extreme Networks, etc.

Just because you get funded does not mean you are successful.

  • After quitting Sun Microsystems, Khosla decided to enter the venture market and founded Khosla Ventures in 2004 with a whopping $1 billion in capital. His strategies and plans not only include the investment but also supporting and nurturing the startups and industrialists.
  • He also the founded The Indus Entrepreneur (TiE) in 1992, a non-profit network catering to mentoring, educating, funding and incubating the entrepreneurs. TiE has 15,000 members across over 20 countries.
  • He is also an ardent Quora user and has answered various questions from the future threat of Artificial Intelligence to the effect of automation in coming years on jobs.
  • A passionate environmentalist, Khosla has invested heavily in biofuel companies which manufacture ethanol. Ethanol is cheaper to produce and to sell compared to gasoline. What makes it eco-friendly is that it comes from agricultural manure. He ardently believes change must follow step by step, innovation by innovation.

Experience in your business is important, but experience is a bias. What’s more important than experience is the rate of learning.

  • He supported California’s Proposition 87, a clean energy enterprise that failed to pass, in 2006. His wife and he have donated $500,000 to Wikimedia Foundation, a nonprofit charitable organisation.
  • On the home soil, he has invested in SKS Microfinance and provided loan for women welfare in rural India. He believes e-commerce will dominate in the coming decade as the market seems to be ready to compete with the likes of Alibaba.
  • Khosla opted for an unsure and unknown path rather doing a 9 to 5 high paying job. As he recalls, “I’ve never worked on anything I don’t enjoy”. He feels India is a fertile ground for investment but due to lack of homework, he is not investing in Indian firms as of now and believes that India has similar opportunities like that of those which lead to great development in China.
  • With the net worth of $2.7 billion today, Vinod Khosla is ranked 353rd on the Forbes 400 2020 – the list of wealthiest Americans in 2020.
  • He was also ranked 60th on “The Midas List: Top Tech Investors 2020” by Forbes.

If there’s a 90% chance of failure, there’s a 10% chance of changing the world.

The post is a part of a B’day Series where we celebrate the birthday of renowned personalities from Tech Industry, very frequently. The series includes Entrepreneurs, C-level Executives, innovators or renewed leaders who moved the industry with his exponential skill set and vision. The intent is to highlight the person’s achievements and touch base the little known, but interesting, part of his life. You can see the list of all earlier celebrated tech personalities, including Mark Zuckerberg, Marissa Mayor, Sean Parker, Andy Rubin, Julian AssangeSir Richard Branson, Sergey Brin by following this link or subscribe to your daily newsletter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Reliance Aims To Launch Its Own Version Of UPI-Like Payments Network With Google And Facebook!

The mammoth tech-petroleum conglomerate Reliance aims to create its own version of UPI! According...

TikTok Coughs Up $92 Million In Fine For Harvesting User Data Of Minors!

The popular short-form video app TikTok simply can’t catch a break! Besides dealing with its botched acquisition now stuck in limbo, the...

Facebook Continues Taking A Jab At Apple With New Marketing Campaign

Even after a month of attacking and accusing Tim Cook Zuckerberg is still very much fizzle out from Apple’s major blow to...

Xiaomi Levels Up On India Manufacturing: 99% Smartphones Are Made In India

Xiaomi really is digging its heels to live up to a commitment. One of the first adopters of the...

After SMS, WhatsApp Now Becomes A Threat To Cell Calling: 1 Billion And Counting

It already buried the SMSes in the ground. Now, traditional cellular calling is next on the hit list. The number of WhatsApp...

Flipkart Quickly Learns From the Mistake Amazon Did: Setting Up A Level Playing Field For Sellers!

Unlike Amazon which allegedly implemented unethical strategies to tackles India’s FDI policy for e-commerce marketplaces, Flipkart plans to do it right!

In-Depth: Dprime

Will ‘TikTok By Microsoft’ Be A Winner?

For the last two years, TikTok has been in the public eye for all sorts of reasons. First, it was the exploded...

Facebook Subscription Model: Looking Beyond Ad Dollars?

Seldom do job listings create a stir this gripping. However, when the job listing in question is a stealth post from Twitter,...

Will The Online Food Delivery Market in India End Up Becoming A Two-Horse Race?

It's pretty much evident that the food delivery space in India is all set to get riled up soon enough as one...

More Articles Like This