Uber is world’s most valued startup having a valuation soaring to $72 billion in February 2018. Despite all hullabaloo, that company has gone through in the recent past, Uber is still scaling new heights by adding new marketers at regular intervals. Even the dramatic exit of Travis Kalanis, co-founder and former CEO of Uber, didn’t shake the company much.
On the flip side, despite showing phenomenal growth potential in the business model, Uber is facing ban partially or fully in many promising markets due to various security and legal challenges. But that’s not all; The growth of Uber has come at the cost of many cab-service offering companies. While drivers who were once excited about the payout from Uber, are now protesting against the Uber for declining earnings.
Uber always surrounded by hundreds of legal hurdles it is facing in many countries. In the NY alone, the company faced 173 lawsuits in 2015.
All the above makes Uber, arguably, the most controversial startup in the history. And, that’s why 16Best.net has found it convincing enough to curate data and create an infographic that highlights 39 interesting facts about Uber. We have listed some of those important facts below, followed by the complete infographic.
- In 19 rounds so far, Uber has raised $22.2 billion from 90 investors and firms.
- In a landmark investment round, Uber raised $8.8 billion in late 2017. It was one of the largest funds raised by any startup ever in one round.
- Chew this- had you make an angel investment of just $20K in Uber during early days, you would have been counting not less than $40 million in returns in 2014.
- The exploded growth of Uber attracted many eyeballs. Consequently, Uber found one or more competitors in almost every country/city it is operational today.
- Despite so much of hype, no competitor managed to raise expand and raise as much money as Uber till date. However, Didi Kuaidi, Ola Cabs and Lyft are the only competitors who have managed to present some competition by securing a sizable amount of investment.
- Didi Chuxing is the closest competitor having a valuation of $50 billion.
- Uber is also awarded as the fastest growing Unicorn, after Facebook. It achieved $41 billion market capitalisation in less than 6 years – a feat that no other unicorn, including LinkedIn, WhatsApp and Twitter – could achieve so far.
- By leveraging on jaw-dropping discounts and offers Uber has over 50 billion riders and 7 million drivers on its platform. Interestingly, none of these drivers is employed by Uber.
- Uber has over 12,000 employees to maintain operations worldwide.
- Uber is also working on, supposedly, the next wave of transportation – self-driving cars. Uber has partnered with Volvo to invest $300 million in self-driving cars.
- Uber is also very optimistic about the future of transportation. By 2020, Uber is expected to launch flying cars Dallas and Los Angels.
We have embedded below the complete infographic that carries many more interesting facts about the investment, acquisitions, payouts and competition.