With promoted tweets and Facebook paid posts grabbing the increased attention of the social media users, the business agencies are now facing a hard-nosed competition in making their messages reach to the social feed of the customers. This is due to the very fact that the number of informative apprise continues to escalate along with the active social user base while the number of hours these users have to absorb remains almost constant.
A new study, which aggregated data from 1.6 million organic (non-paid) social posts from Twitter Inc. (NYSE:TWTR), Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB) and Google+ revealed that 99% of such blurbs had almost a nil impact on the users of these social media giants. Socialflow, a social media optimization platform administered this study between the time span of April 1 to July 31, 2014 and deduced that out of the total number of posts it scrutinized, they attained almost 361 million exclusive user and accounted for approx 1.5 different billion social actions.
The key findings of the report included three major outcomes:-
- Data driven posts engaged 91% of more audience as compared to 25% of the normal organic posts.
- There’s a huge potential in terms of reach and engrossment of the normal scheduled posts but lately they have seen a huge decline in their performance status.
- The real-time posts provide adequate outputs to the Entertainment firms, but are not at all lucrative to the other Technological and FMCG enterprises.
The below graph indicates the performance of posts across all the three social media giants. It is clearly evident from the trend that a small percentage of posts instigate an overly interest of users. A substantial 1.4 million posts illustrate the “long tail” behavior, a few of them model huge attractions, whereas the rest enjoy a moderate level of engagement ratio. Subsequently, it is quite arduous for the other enterprises apart from the enticing media and entertainment organizations to spawn such appealing posts.
The Media and Entertainment firms enjoy this captivation because their business is concentrated on updating and intriguing them on the grounds of entertainment hence harboring exquisite quantities of content. On the other hand, the marketers from the other sectors lag behind in pertaining to the engagement levels of the folks in their feeds because of their lesser compelling stories and hence are needed for an optimized solution in these genres.
Driving factors behind the Data- Driven posts
The study also pointed out that the enterprises which follow a data driven approach improve on their efficacy in two momentous ways. Firstly, they are able to promulgate greater content to the social media platform whilst implying a slightly more overall effort. Secondly, due to a greater number of posts, these companies are able to cling to the nerves of the already engaged folks by providing those contents which pursuit their interests. The perfect merger of both these factors makes the Data-Driven approach more appealing than the less anticipated scheduled approach.
Although 90% these Data-Driven posts from the Media and Entertainment industry outperformed their real time posts, but the cumulative benefits which those 10% posts received was almost 90% of the total engrossment. The technology and the retail verticals have been the outperformers in the context of clasping the Data-Driven approach. Out of the eight companies who had a consequential effect on the data set of Socialflow survey surmised that they:-
- Scheduled only 1.5% of their content.
- Published Real-Time 6.9% of the time
- Used Data-Driven optimization for the remaining 91.6% of posts .
The impending implications
The study also proposed some changes for the improvisation of the performance of the organic posts. It was mainly focused on three primary suggestions-
- Other than the marketers belonging to the Media and the Entertainment industry, the rest verticals should adopt the Data-Driven strategy only to publish their posts as their success rate is expected to be quite high for them.
- The organic social publishing should be as Data-Driven as the rest of the marketing which includes determining the availability of the audience, judging the momentum of a particular topic in the current scenario and identify the ever-changing needs in the contents for the users.
Instead of devoting their precious time in analyzing the audiences, judging their blends and predicting the best time to post the feeds, it is more advantageous for the social media workforce to engage their time in creating a better content for the readers which would definitely help in boosting the performance of the organic feeds.