Xiaomi is a Chinese electronics company, that makes smartphones, mobile apps, laptops, and related consumer electronics. The company’s product range includes Mi and Redmi smartphones, Mi TVs and set-top boxes, Mi routers, Mi scooters, and Mi Ecosystem products including smart home products, wearables and other accessories.
Here are some interesting yet less known facts about Xiaomi.
Company Name: Xiaomi Inc, headquarters in Beijing
Founded Year: 6 April 2010
- 8 years ago, Xiaomi was founded by a Chinese serial entrepreneur Lei Jun, who is also the CEO of the company. (S)
- The “MI” logo of Xiaomi stands for “Mobile Internet”. (S)
- On April 8, 2015, Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun had received the Guinness World Records certificate for selling over 2 million mobile phones within 24 hours through its direct-to-customer website Mi.com. (S)
- In 2012 (just two years after the inception), Xiaomi’s annual sales had exceeded US$1 billion for the first time. (S)
- In 2014, Xiaomi became the number #1 smartphone company in mainland China by unit shipments, according to IDC. (S)
- For the first time in 2014, Xiaomi had clocked over US$10 billion in annual revenue, which is the fastest in the history, according to iResearch. (S)
- In 2015, the number of monthly active users (MAUs) of MIUI (MI User Interface) had exceeded 100 million. (S)
- The number of monthly active MIUI (MI User Interface) users has reached approx. 190 million as of March 2018. (S)
- As of March 31, 2018, over 1.4 million users have more than five connected Xiaomi products (excluding smartphones and laptops). (S)
- In just three and half years after entering in Indian market, Xiaomi became the number #1 smartphone company by unit shipments in Q4 2017. (S)
- A photo of two heavy men sitting on a Xiaomi packaging box was widely spread through China Social Medias. (S)
- In Q1 2018, Xiaomi has sold over 9 million handsets in India, giving it a market share of 31%. (S)
- Xiaomi has sold over 1 million smartphones in India in just 2 days during the festive season in September 2017. (S)
- In Q4 2017, Xiaomi has registered a mind-blowing year-over-year growth of 96.9%, with 28.1 million units shipped, globally. (S)
- In Q4 2017, Xiaomi has leapfrogged Samsung for the first time in India, with 8.2 million units of smartphone sold. (S)
- The unprecedented sales of Xiaomi Redmi 5A (5.4 million) made it the world’s most selling Android smartphone in Q1 2018, beating Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. (S)
- With 27 million units of smartphone shipments in Q1 2018, Xiaomi has become the world’s fourth-largest smartphone manufacturer. (S)
- Xiaomi is expected to go public this year, with an Initial Public Offering (IPO) of $10 billion. (S)
The above list is a part of Dazeinfo DFacts, where we bring you carefully curated and validated facts and figures of all technology companies worldwide.
Last Updated: 9 June 2018