Share of Microsoft Annual Revenue By Geography

The above graph represents the share of Microsoft annual revenue by geography, starting from fiscal 2002 to the most recently completed year. In fiscal 2019, Microsoft reported a record $125,843 million in revenue, worldwide. The growth was driven by the increase in revenue from the US and other major geographic areas. The United States remains the biggest market for the company, accounted for a whopping 51% of its total revenue in FY 2019. While the rest 49% of the revenue came from the other countries.

Microsoft Annual Revenue Share By Geography: History

SourceMicrosoft Annual reports, SEC Filings
Last Updated11 November 2019
Graph ID560
NoteMicrosoft financial year – from July 1 to June 30

The contribution of the US revenue to Microsoft’s annual revenue has always been greater than 50%, except for one year i.e. fiscal 2015.

As the graph shows, the United States accounted for a whopping 70.7% of the company’s total revenue in fiscal 2002. In just 6 years, the share of Microsoft US revenue declined to 59.46%. Meanwhile, the contribution of other countries to Microsoft’s total revenue increased, from 29.26% in fiscal 2002 to 40.54% in fiscal 2008.

In fiscal 2015, Microsoft annual revenue totalled $93,580 million, with a year-over-year increase of 7.8%. That was the first time when the US share of the company’s total revenue during FY 2015 declined to below 50%, while the other countries’ share increased to 50%.

About Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American multinational technology company, founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on April 4, 1975. The company is best known for its software products such as Microsoft Windows OSs, Microsoft Office Suite, and web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft rose to dominate the personal computer operating system market during the 1980-81 when it formed a partnership with IBM to provide MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System) for IBM PCs. This implied that for every computer sold by IBM having Microsoft’s OS, a royalty was paid to Microsoft.

On November 20, 1985, Microsoft launched Windows – a graphical operating environment that runs on MS-DOS.

On March 13, 1986, Microsoft had a highly successful initial public offering (IPO) for $21 per share. By the end of the day, the stock price had risen to $35.50, which made Bill Gates an instant multi-millionaire, with 44.8% of the company’s stock.

On May 22, 1990, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0. Interestingly, Microsoft’s Windows 3.0 became the first widely successful version of Windows, from the very first day.

Microsoft has made ten acquisitions worth over one billion dollars: Skype (2011), aQuantive (2007), Fast Search & Transfer (2008), Navision (2002), Visio Corporation (2000), Yammer (2012), Nokia’s mobile and devices division (2013), Mojang (2014), LinkedIn (2016) and GitHub (2018).

Microsoft recently overtook Apple to become the world’s most valuable company, clocking $1 trillion valuation.

Here are some more interesting facts about Microsoft.

The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.