Number of Microsoft Employees: US and International

The below graph represents the total number of Microsoft employees in the US and rest of the world. As of June 2020, the company has approximately 163,000 full-time employees, globally. A whopping 59% of those are from the United States and the rest 41% are international employees.

More Actionable Insights

The above graph represents the number of Microsoft employees by year. As of June 2020, Microsoft has approximately 163,000 full-time employees, globally. A whopping 59% of those are from the United States and the rest 41% are international employees. Microsoft US employees in FY 2020 increased to 96,000 from 85,000 in FY 2019. While the company’s international employees count increased to 67,000 during FY 2020, from 59,000 employees a year ago.

Microsoft Full-Time Employees: History

SourceMicrosoft Annual reports, SEC Filings
Last Updated11 November 2019
Graph ID323
NoteMicrosoft financial year – from July 1 to June 30

In the Microsoft fiscal 2019 annual report, it is mentioned that out of its 144,000 full-time employed people, about 47,000 are in operations, which includes manufacturing, distribution, product support, and consulting services. While 47,000 are in product research and development, 38,000 are in sales and marketing and rest 12,000 are in general and administration.

In fiscal 2002, Microsoft employed over 50,000 people across the world, on a full-time basis. Approximately 68.5% of those 50,500 full-time employees were in the United States.

One must note that Microsoft global employees count surpassed 128,000 people in fiscal 2014, from just 99,000 a year ago. Over 51% of those were working outside of the US. Interestingly, approximately 25,000 employees were transferred as part of the NDS acquisition by Microsoft in April 2014.

About Microsoft Corp: Additional Information

Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American multinational technology company, founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on April 4, 1975. The company is best known for its software products such as Microsoft Windows OSs, Microsoft Office Suite, and web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft rose to dominate the personal computer operating system market during the 1980-81 when it formed a partnership with IBM to provide MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System) for IBM PCs. This implied that for every computer sold by IBM having Microsoft’s OS, a royalty was paid to Microsoft.

On November 20, 1985, Microsoft launched Windows – a graphical operating environment that runs on MS-DOS.

On March 13, 1986, Microsoft had a highly successful initial public offering (IPO) for $21 per share. By the end of the day, the stock price had risen to $35.50, which made Bill Gates an instant multi-millionaire, with 44.8% of the company’s stock.

On May 22, 1990, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0. Interestingly, Microsoft’s Windows 3.0 became the first widely successful version of Windows, from the very first day.

Microsoft has made ten acquisitions worth over one billion dollars: Skype (2011), aQuantive (2007), Fast Search & Transfer (2008), Navision (2002), Visio Corporation (2000), Yammer (2012), Nokia’s mobile and devices division (2013), Mojang (2014), LinkedIn (2016) and GitHub (2018).

Microsoft recently overtook Apple to become the world’s most valuable company, clocking $1 trillion valuation.

Here are some more interesting facts about Microsoft.

The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.