Share of Microsoft Products and Services Revenue, by Quarter

The below graph represents the share of Microsoft products and services revenue by quarter. About 50.5% of Microsoft's total revenue in fiscal Q2 2020 came from services and other businesses.

[expand title=”More Actionable Insights” swaptitle=”Close”]

The above graph represents the share of Microsoft products and services revenue by quarter. About 50.5% of Microsoft’s total revenue in fiscal Q2 2020 came from services and other businesses. That’s approximately 0.49 percent point increase from fiscal Q2 2019. On the other hand, the share of Microsoft products revenue declined to 49.46% during the second fiscal quarter, when compared to 49.95% during the year-ago period. Interestingly, the company reported its highest-ever quarterly revenue from products and services in FY Q2 2020.

Share of Microsoft Quarterly Revenue by Type: History

SourceMicrosoft Quarterly reportsSEC Filings
Graph ID558
NoteMicrosoft financial year – from July 1 to June 30

In Q1 2017, Microsoft generated an impressive 68.3% of its total quarterly revenue from the sale of its products, amounting to $14,968 million. In just one year, the contribution of products revenue to the company’s total revenue declined 10% point to 58.27%.

On the other hand, Microsoft services business accounted for just 31.74% of the company’s total revenue during fiscal Q1 2017. In just one year, the share of services revenue increased 10% point to 41.73%. The company’s revenue from services and other business increased from just $6,960 million to $10,240 million during the same period, representing an astonishing 47% YoY increase.

About Microsoft Corporation: Additional Information

Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American multinational technology company, founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on April 4, 1975. The company is best known for its software products such as Microsoft Windows OSs, Microsoft Office Suite, and web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft rose to dominate the personal computer operating system market during the 1980-81 when it formed a partnership with IBM to provide MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System) for IBM PCs. This implied that for every computer sold by IBM having Microsoft’s OS, a royalty was paid to Microsoft.

On November 20, 1985, Microsoft launched Windows – a graphical operating environment that runs on MS-DOS.

On March 13, 1986, Microsoft had a highly successful initial public offering (IPO) for $21 per share. By the end of the day, the stock price had risen to $35.50, which made Bill Gates an instant multi-millionaire, with 44.8% of the company’s stock.

On May 22, 1990, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0. Interestingly, Microsoft’s Windows 3.0 became the first widely successful version of Windows, from the very first day.

Microsoft has made ten acquisitions worth over one billion dollars: Skype (2011), aQuantive (2007), Fast Search & Transfer (2008), Navision (2002), Visio Corporation (2000), Yammer (2012), Nokia’s mobile and devices division (2013), Mojang (2014), LinkedIn (2016) and GitHub (2018).

Microsoft recently overtook Apple to become the world’s most valuable company, clocking $1 trillion valuation.

Here are some more interesting facts about Microsoft.

The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.