Share of Microsoft Quarterly Revenue by Geography

The below graph represents the share of Microsoft quarterly revenue by geography - United States and other countries. United States accounted for a whopping 51.9% of Microsoft's total revenue in fiscal Q2 2020.

More Actionable Insights

The above graph represents the share of Microsoft quarterly revenue by geography – United States and other countries. In fiscal Q2 2020, approximately 51.9% of Microsoft’s total revenue came from the United States, amounting to $19,149 million. While the other countries accounted for 48.1% of the company’s total revenue during the same period.

Microsoft Revenue Share by Geography: History

SourceMicrosoft Quarterly reportsSEC Filings
Graph ID559
NoteMicrosoft financial year – from July 1 to June 30

As the graph shows, the contribution of the United States and other countries to Microsoft’s quarterly revenue haven’t changed in the last 3 years.

In fiscal Q1 2017, Microsoft generated $11,215 million in revenue from the US, representing 51.14% of the company’s total revenue. Interestingly, the share of US revenue increased to 54.65% in FY Q2 2017. On the other hand, the share of other countries revenue declined from 48.86% to 45.35% during the same period.

One must note that fiscal Q4 2018 was the only quarter when Microsoft’s other countries surpassed United States in terms of revenue share. The other countries revenue clocked $15,253 million, representing 50.7% of the company’s total revenue during FY Q4 2018.

About Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American multinational technology company, founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on April 4, 1975. The company is best known for its software products such as Microsoft Windows OSs, Microsoft Office Suite, and web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Microsoft rose to dominate the personal computer operating system market during the 1980-81 when it formed a partnership with IBM to provide MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System) for IBM PCs. This implied that for every computer sold by IBM having Microsoft’s OS, a royalty was paid to Microsoft.

On November 20, 1985, Microsoft launched Windows – a graphical operating environment that runs on MS-DOS.

On March 13, 1986, Microsoft had a highly successful initial public offering (IPO) for $21 per share. By the end of the day, the stock price had risen to $35.50, which made Bill Gates an instant multi-millionaire, with 44.8% of the company’s stock.

On May 22, 1990, Microsoft launched Windows 3.0. Interestingly, Microsoft’s Windows 3.0 became the first widely successful version of Windows, from the very first day.

Microsoft has made ten acquisitions worth over one billion dollars: Skype (2011), aQuantive (2007), Fast Search & Transfer (2008), Navision (2002), Visio Corporation (2000), Yammer (2012), Nokia’s mobile and devices division (2013), Mojang (2014), LinkedIn (2016) and GitHub (2018).

Microsoft recently overtook Apple to become the world’s most valuable company, clocking $1 trillion valuation.

Here are some more interesting facts about Microsoft.

The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.