Tablet OS Market Share Worldwide by Month

The below graph represents the monthly distribution of the tablet OS market share worldwide, starting from August 2012 to the recently completed month. The world's top two tablet operating systems - Android and iOS - together accounted for 99.78% of the total market, leaving other OSs to complete for remaining 0.22% of the market.

More Actionable Insights

The above graph represents the monthly distribution of the tablet OS market share worldwide, starting from August 2012 to the recently completed month. The world’s top two tablet operating systems – Android and iOS – together accounted for 99.78% of the total market, leaving other OSs to complete for remaining 0.22% of the market.

World’s Top Tablet OS by Market Share: In-Depth

RegionWorldwide
SourceStatCounter
Graph ID440
DurationAug 2012 – Apr 2020

Apple’s iOS is the world’s most popular operating systems for tablet devices. As of April 2020, iOS is ruling the tablet operating system market worldwide with 60.35% share. Surprisingly, that’s a notable -10.6 percent point decline from April 2019 when iOS market share on tablet devices was 70.95%.

As the graph shows, the usage share of iOS on iPads had declined from a whopping 85.61% in August 2012 to 65.51% in August 2015. However, later in 2018, iOS market share on tablet market significantly increased, from 70.5% in October 2018 to 74.24% in February 2019, worldwide.

On the other hand, Google’s Android is second widely used OS on tablet devices, worldwide. Android OS accounted for 39.43% share of the global tablet market in April 2020, representing an appreciable 10.65 percent point increase from the same period last year.

Other tablet operating systems such as Linux, Windows, BlackBerry OS, etc. have less than 1% market share.

About Operating Systems: Additional Information

An operating system (OS), in its most general sense, is a program that manages hardware and allows a user to run other programs on a computing device.

While the research in the field of Operating System started in 1950, the first major breakthrough came only in 1962 when the first recognisable modern Operating System was built. Atlas Supervisor was the first program that successfully managed hardware to provide a controlled environment to various programs.

Almost every device that contains a processor is controlled by the Operating System nowadays. While there are many companies who have either launched or working on their own Operating System, there are three tech giants who dominate the global Operating System market.

Desktop Market is completely controlled by Windows OS created by Microsoft. In the last 3 decades, Microsoft introduced various versions of Windows OS, latest being Windows 10 OS. While almost every other company work on Windows OS, Apple has got its own Mac OS.

In the mobile space, Google’s Android is the undisputed king due to the strong app ecosystem and availability to other smartphone manufacturers. Unlike Android, Apple has decided to keep its own operating system for mobile devices, named as iOS, restricted only for devices made by the company itself.


The above graph is a part of Dazeinfo GraphFarm – the most trusted source of hundreds of thousands of market graphs. Our team of researchers mines millions of data points every month to bring the most updated and validated set of data points representing the comprehensive view in a graphical format. From mobile to e-commerce, from Retail to healthcare, from startups to SMEs we have carefully designed thousands of graphs for those who value and understand the importance of data visualisation.