Happy Birthday Vinod Khosla: The Indian Tech Mogul

Must Read

Freshers Rejoice As Cognizant To Hire 20,000 Digitally Skilled Graduates With Eye-Popping Salary Packages

American multi-national Cognizant is gearing up to be on a hiring spree as they plan to hire...

Freshers’ Salary On The Rise In IT Companies Amid Mid-Level Layoffs

The Information Technology industry in India is recently going through some turmoil with massive mid-level layoffs taking...

Microsoft Warns Millions of Windows 10 Users, And It’s Scary!

Microsoft’s Windows 10 update worries seem to haven’t stopped even after they started to secretly offer Windows...
Abhishekhttp://dazeinfo.com
A Mechanical Engineer, having fondness of numbers and analysis. I love to read between lines, discuss with the industry leaders and carefully craft my thoughts backed with data. I'am a hungry explorer whose plight never ends. Comfort zone never exists for me.

Vinod Khosla is an IIT graduate, an Indian American engineer, a businessman and a venture capitalist. He is the most influential venture capitalist in America, assisting and investing in various companies ranging from video games, multimedia to internet software. Born to an Indian Army officer, Vinod Khosla got fascinated with technology at an early age. In his teenage, he had once read about the founding of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), which inspired him to pursue his career in technology.

Everybody else is afraid to fail, I do not really care because when I fail, I try something new.

It was Khosla who visualized the amalgamation of Fiber optics and internet that has made the communication cheaper and faster.

Advertisements

In 1981, Vinod Khosla co-founded Daisy Systems Inc., computer-aided design software for electrical engineers, with Dave Stamm and Harvey Jones. Soon, he became irksome by designing the hardware and quit the venture.

Always being an opportunist and an optimist, Vinod co-founded Sun Microsystems on 24 February 1982 with his Stanford classmate Andreas Bechtolsheim from Germany. Sun Microsystems was subsequently, acquired by Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL) for $7.4 billion in 2010.

In 2004, Vinod Khosla founded Khosla Ventures, which revolutionised the industries with its path-breaking work and strategies.

Vinod Khosla

Interestingly, he was the man who changed the course of microprocessing industry. Vinod challenged Intel’s monopoly by establishing AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) (the microprocessor that significantly challenged Intel’s microprocessors).

Born: 28 January 1955, Delhi, India

Advertisements

Net Worth: $2.1 billion

Graduation from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi), master’s in Biomedical engineering from Carnegie-Mellon University and MBA from Stanford University, Vinod Khosla became one of the most influential personalities of Silicon Valley. Listed below are some of his ventures and traits:

  • His first venture was in the soy milk industry. At an early age of 20, his business targeted a section of poor Indians who couldn’t afford refrigerators. Unfortunately, this venture sank and Khosla moved to the US for higher studies.
  • He masterminded the removal of Cisco and crowning of Juniper Networks as the new king of the router market. With the immense knowledge of investment and global market, Khosla is an avid player and a mentor who has helped various firms including Viant, Lightera, Extreme Networks, etc.

Just because you get funded does not mean you are successful.

  • After quitting Sun Microsystems, Khosla decided to enter the venture market and founded Khosla Ventures in 2004 with a whopping $1 billion in capital. His strategies and plans not only include the investment but also supporting and nurturing the startups and industrialists.
  • He also the founded The Indus Entrepreneur (TiE) in 1992, a non-profit network catering to mentoring, educating, funding and incubating the entrepreneurs. TiE has 15,000 members across over 20 countries.
  • He is also an ardent Quora user and has answered various questions from the future threat of Artificial Intelligence to the effect of automation in coming years on jobs.
  • A passionate environmentalist, Khosla has invested heavily in biofuel companies which manufacture ethanol. Ethanol is cheaper to produce and to sell compared to gasoline. What makes it eco-friendly is that it comes from agricultural manure. He ardently believes change must follow step by step, innovation by innovation.

Experience in your business is important, but experience is a bias. What’s more important than experience is the rate of learning.

  • He supported California’s Proposition 87, a clean energy enterprise that failed to pass, in 2006. His wife and he have donated $500,000 to Wikimedia Foundation, a nonprofit charitable organisation.
  • On the home soil, he has invested in SKS Microfinance and provided loan for women welfare in rural India. He believes e-commerce will dominate in the coming decade as the market seems to be ready to compete with the likes of Alibaba.
  • Khosla opted for an unsure and unknown path rather doing a 9 to 5 high paying job. As he recalls, “I’ve never worked on anything I don’t enjoy”. He feels India is a fertile ground for investment but due to lack of homework, he is not investing in Indian firms as of now and believes that India has similar opportunities like that of those which lead to great development in China.
  • With the net worth of $2.2 billion, Vinod Khosla was listed on the Forbes 400 2018 – the list of wealthiest Americans in 2018.
  • He was also ranked 35th in the list of Forbes Top Tech Investors 2018.

If there’s a 90% chance of failure, there’s a 10% chance of changing the world.

The post is a part of a B’day Series where we celebrate the birthday of renowned personalities from Tech Industry, very frequently. The series includes Entrepreneurs, C-level Executives, innovators or renewed leaders who moved the industry with his exponential skill set and vision. The intent is to highlight the person’s achievements and touch base the little known, but interesting, part of his life. You can see the list of all earlier celebrated tech personalities, including Mark Zuckerberg, Marissa Mayor, Sean Parker, Andy Rubin, Julian AssangeSir Richard Branson, Sergey Brin by following this link or subscribe to your daily newsletter.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Paytm And PhonePe Will Spend Jaw-Dropping Amount On Marketing Efforts In 2020

It has recently been reported that Paytm and PhonePe which are leading digital payment companies of India...

SEO Secret: Meta Description Drives More Clicks Than Title, Reveals Study!

If you are a digital marketer in 2020 or someone who takes a keen interest in consumer behaviour, you’d be shocked with...

Chrome Had More Than 500 Harmful Extensions: Users Beware!

Google is committed to providing a clean, safe and enhanced internet experience through its Chrome browser. In a bid to do so,...

Why Zuckerberg Endorsing A Move That Could Be Bad For Facebook!

Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB) has been under the radar of several governmental institutions and privacy regulators for their overly alarming activities related to...

Microsoft Warns Millions of Windows 10 Users, And It’s Scary!

Microsoft’s Windows 10 update worries seem to haven’t stopped even after they started to secretly offer Windows 10 for free. Despite Microsoft’s...

Microsoft Study Reveals Indians Have Become Less Digitally Civilised Than The Previous Years!

With the coming age of digital boom in India, more and more people have been gaining access to the internet and have...

In-Depth: Dprime

YouTube Should Have Bid Adieu To Dislike Button Much Earlier?

Online video sharing platform YouTube can be a ruthless place for content creators targeted by 'dislike mobs'. And the site owners totally understand that...

Facebook Has Pulled Off A Masterstroke By Integrating Its ‘Family Of Apps’?

It’s indeed hard to believe that ONE man sitting at Menlo Park, oversees how nearly a third of the world’s population interacts with each...

Facebook’s Crunch Conquest: By Relying Largely On The US Market, Is Facebook Running a Risk?

Two billion! That's Facebook, Inc. (NASDAQ: FB) for you - Right when you thought that this social-media giant has already connected the entire world, it's...

More Articles Like This