Mobile devices have transformed our daily behavior through various apps. Now it’s also the fastest growing platform for media. With a vast user base of 1.75 billion users by the end of 2014, mobile is transforming the way media is digested on a daily basis. The average millennial user spends 18 hours a day viewing media, of which 5 hours is spent on viewing content generated by their peers. The traditional forms of media such as TV, radio and magazine are witnessing an increased decline in the time being spent on them. Social media, app downloads and finding information are some of the key factors expected to drive growth in mobile media next year.
The rapid adoption of mobile media is also playing a new role in advertising. Mobile ads are far more effective than those on television and online, with almost half of the mobile users consulting their devices before making a purchase. The powerful impact of mobile advertising is a factor, that businesses can no longer choose to ignore. 61% of users are more likely to leave a website that isn’t mobile friendly.
This infographic by InMobi is based on the Mobile Media Consumption Research for February 2014. By covering 14,473 people in 14 countries, a clear picture of the power of mobile media throughout the globe is presented.
- A total of 6 hours a day is spent by the average mobile user in consuming media. Consumers spend an average of 2.2 hours per day on mobiles and tablets combined.
- 21% of users plans to use their mobile devices to be more active on social media. Another 20% said they use their device more frequently for entertainment purposes.
- The app is the best medium for mobile advertising. 48% of mobile ads were noticed on apps, compared to 40% on search engines.
- 61% of users reported being comfortable with mobile ads as they are with online and TV ads.
- The mobile is a powerful device for new discoveries. At least 79% of users admitted they had been introduced to something new via their mobiles.
- 48% of users felt their mobile phones made the most impact when it comes to purchases. 70% of respondents felt that the mobile device had provided them with better options.
- The rise of m-commerce is on a high, with 68% of consumers confessing to having spent money on an activity via mobile. A further 83% of users are expected to spend money through m-commerce next year.