With less than 50 days left for Thanksgiving day, Cyber Monday, Black Friday; Online retailers, Brands in the U.S are hustling to get things online for upcoming shopping season. Major retailers have opened extremely early and offered promotional sales to kick off the holiday shopping season.
Next-generation social media marketing platform provider, Offerpop released an Infographic to assist marketers and help them prepare for ad campaigns on Facebook for prime occasions like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Thanksgiving Day. Few interesting facts derived from the infographic about performance by marketers a year ago were:
- A whooping 59.1 Billion worth sales took place on Black Friday, 2012; marking an epic beginning of Christmas shopping season.
- Nearly 16.3% of Black Friday shoppers looked for promos and deals on Facebook; and close to 28% of shoppers used mobile phones to visit retailer’s site.
- Panic level amongst shoppers is very high on prime occasions; 28% of them end up camping outside for midnight openings.
- Small business Saturday, a counterpart to Black Friday and Thanksgiving Day; encourages holiday shoppers to patronize brick and mortar businesses that are small and local. Last year, Small business Saturday had overall sales of $5.5 Billion.
- Top 500 retailers saw 240% spike in referral rates through Facebook on Cyber Monday. About 13% of total sales on Cyber Monday were registered through mobile devices.
- About 48% of shopaholics preferred using Social media to plan their holiday shopping; out of those, 54% were looking for deals and 53% for gift ideas.
From above stats, it is vital for retail brands to make use of social media platform, especially Facebook, for promoting their offers during the special occasions. Various attractive deals and offers must be levied both online and offline to derive maximum profits, as consumer is much more tuned into how and when they can get the best deal. More emphasis must be on promotion through mobile devices as majority of people prefer holiday shopping on smaller screens; shoppers should promote their products through various apps, mobile advertising techniques. Promotion should begin well in advance, prior to special occasion day, as shoppers are more excited about holiday shopping plans and start using various social media platform to workout schedule much before the actual date.