Social media and internet act as watch dogs for online shoppers and are largely influencing their buying decisions. Ads and other consumer reviews on social media sites are creating greater impact on most of shopaholic. Even the retailers derive a significant amount of their revenue through social media purchasers. Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB) and Twitter are most effective platforms to get consumers talk and tweet about a product.
The infographic from MarketMeSuite, highlights few interesting facts and figures about social media’ impact on online shoppers.
- In U.S, nearly 38 million teenagers in age group 13-18 agreed that their purchasing decisions were largely influenced by social media.
- Large number of brands are leveraging on social media for business, more than 86% of U.S retailers have Facebook fan page.
- Close to 70% of adult group who are on social networking sites, shop online.
- 81% of shoppers agreed that posts from their friends on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook impact their buying decisions.
- Reviews from consumers are 12 times more trusted than the description given by manufacturer.
- A Social share of online products is estimated to drive an average of $2.04 in direct revenue to an online retailer.
Social media has become prime decision-making tool for online shoppers. Although social media shopping is in infancy stage, it is likely to create greater impact on online shoppers in future. Consumers reviews will play a key role in affecting online shoppers because they are considered to be more authenticated than the description given by manufacturer.