The undisputed king of video content, YouTube has recently achieved much-awaited milestone of 1 Billion monthly active users. The online video sharing website, launched in 2005 and later acquired by Google Inc (GOOG) for US$1.65 billion in October 2006, has gone gaga in last since the very day of launch despite of few legal huddles and challenges. However, the beauty of moving objects in form of video kept users engaged and growing with each passing day.
Today, YouTube is the biggest source of video contents and by far one of the biggest revenue generation sources for Google.
Today we have got you a video that showcases the growth of YouTube in its own style – video format. Produced by William Wei, the video highlights all majors milestones, activities, challenges YouTube faced since its inception till date.
Few of the major highlights of the video:
- YouTube beta site was launched in May, 2005
- The first ever video that hit 1 million views was Ronaldinho’s “Touch Of Gold” in September 2005
- The first ever investment of $3.5 million was injected by Sequoia Capital in November 2005
- In April 2006, YouTube received another round of funding of $8 million.
- In October 2006, Google Inc (GOOG) acquired YouTube for $1.6 billion.
- In March 2007, YouTube found itself the biggest legal dispute when Viacom sued YouTube for $1 billion.
- Highly popular now, YouTube Partners Program was launched in May 2007
- In November 2008, preview ads were launched.
- In October 2009, YouTube recorded 1 Billion views per day.
- YouTube Live, the live broadcasting arm, introduced first in March 2011
- Now, users watch 4 Billion hours of videos each month and upload 72 hours of video every minute.
For detail video over evolution of YouTube, here is the video after this break;