Incivility On Social Media Sites Is On The Rise !! [Survey]

Must Read

Hands-Free Resources: How Businesses Are Using AR to Make Workplaces Safe and Productive

The role of efficiency and ease in the modern world has become forefronted when it comes to technology, particularly...

Top Countries by App Downloads Q2 2021: India Dominates With 7 Billion+ Downloads [REPORT]

As the adoption of smartphones and the Internet has increased over the last decade, so has the number of...

3 Most Common Mistakes Social Media Marketers Are Committing In 2016

In their quest for greater sales and increased ROI, the self-appointed “digital marketing guru” has lost touch with what...

social behaviorSocial media sites like Facebook help people to get connected to their friends and family, but sometimes, those connections take a wrong turn.

Joseph Grenny, co-author of New York Times best-seller Crucial Conversations, conducted an online survey about hostility on social networks and ended up with some surprising results. The study included 2,698 respondents.

According to Joseph Grenny, “Social media platforms aren’t the problem, it’s how people are using them that is causing a degradation of dialogue that has potential to destroy our most meaningful personal relationships,” he said.

Insights from the study:

  • About 80% of respondents believe that incivility on social media is on the rise.
  • About three out of four respondents said they have witnessed an argument over social media, while 88% believe people are less polite on social networks than they are in person.
  • Nearly, 50% of respondents said they have unfriend or blocked family members, friends, or coworkers as a result of online hostility; and 19% have avoided seeing others in person because of something they said online (via social networks).
  • 81% said difficult or emotionally charged conversations they have held over social media remained unresolved.
  • Research shows that younger people are four times more likely than Baby Boomers to try and handle a conflict over social media, but it is observed that their communication skills have gone out the browser window.

Few tips by Grenny for communicating via social media:

Check your motives. Social media hasn’t only changed the way we communicate, it has modified our motives.

Advertisements

Replace hot words. If your goal is to make a point rather than score a point, replace “hot” words that provoke offense with words that help others understand your position. He gives an example, replace, “That is idiotic,” with, “I disagree for the following reasons.”

Pause to put emotions in check. Grenny says never to post a comment when you’re feeling emotionally triggered.

Agree before you disagree: It’s fine to disagree, but don’t point out your disagreement until you acknowledge areas where you agree, he says. Often, arguers agree on 80% of the topic but create a false sense of conflict when they spend all of their time arguing over the other 20%.

He says to “trust your gut”. When reading a response to your post, if you feel like the conversation is getting too emotional for an online exchange, you’re right! Stop. Take and it offline.

2 COMMENTS

  1. Facebook has had a big impact on the realm of social interaction…I’ve written a blog related to Facebook related behavior, which is centered around ‘stalking’, (well the loose definition of the term), and the positive/negatives related to such actions
    http://blog.cloudzync.me/2013/04/facebook-stalking-harmless-fun-or-an-unhealthy-habit/
    Would be interested in hearing the opinion of others!

    Advertisements
  2. I have purchased 50,000 fb likes,shares and follows from a credible service. I know about this web, this provide real FB likes and Real FB Fan page likes. If you want buy more likes then do click on this URL  h ttp      : //b it.ly/ ZtFLHa

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Apple Is Slowly, But Steadily, Winning India Market: Records Double-Digit Growth In Q2 2021

Looks like the strategy to launch multiple variants of the iPhone 12 series is helping Apple to strengthen its...

In-Depth: Dprime

Will ‘TikTok By Microsoft’ Be A Winner?

For the last two years, TikTok has been in the public eye for all sorts of reasons. First, it was the exploded and unparalleled...

Facebook Subscription Model: Looking Beyond Ad Dollars?

Seldom do job listings create a stir this gripping. However, when the job listing in question is a stealth post from Twitter, with a...

Will The Online Food Delivery Market in India End Up Becoming A Two-Horse Race?

It's pretty much evident that the food delivery space in India is all set to get riled up soon enough as one of the...

More Articles Like This