As marketers increase use in digital technologies, traditional media undergoes a huge suffering. Traditional mass media once offered marketers the most advantages to reach their audiences in a wider scale, but now the situations now have basically murdered the traditional media marketing. Here is an other report which proves the suffering of traditional marketing.
According to a new poll of U.S. marketers conducted by Gartner, corporate websites are ranked as the top digital activity for marketing success — out beats marketing on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. However, Social media marketing shows its importance, as the next most important activity.
The survey was conducted in November and December of 2012, surveyed about 250 U.S. marketers whose annual revenue is more than $500 million, across six industries (financial services and insurance, high-tech, manufacturing, media, retail and healthcare).
Key points from the report:
- Few days back we had reported a survey “digital marketing kills traditional marketing. In the survey said that tradition marketing efforts are to see a big downfall this year especially TV (21%) radio (24%) and direct-marketing (9%). In addition to this the present study adds more weight to this, as 41% of marketers found that digital marketing’s effectiveness helps stretch digital marketing budgets.
- On average, 28% of marketers say they’ve reduced their traditional advertising budget to fund digital marketing activities.
- When respondents were asked to prioritize which of these digital marketing activities are most important for their marketing organization’s success by choosing three and ranking them most important, second most important and third most important, following was the answers chose by them.
- Design, development and maintenance of the corporate website were mentioned by 45% of survey respondents as contributing to marketing success.
- 43% of them cited marketing on social networks (Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter) and Digital/online advertising each.
- Corporate websites still have a key role to play when it comes to marketing a company’s offerings. When respondents in the survey were asked to rank different marketing activities, corporate websites and online advertising were on first preference, cited by 18% for each. Blogs grabbed the second position while, 6% of them cited Social media.
- Mobile marketing relatively lags behind the list of contributing to success, with 24% but, better than company blog, with just 6%.
- It was also found that the majority of respondents are spending between 10% and 50% of their marketing budget on digital marketing activities, with the average being 25%. While, its spending averages 2.5% of company revenue — but budgets are expected to rise to 9% in 2013.
- In 2012, the survey found marketers allocated the largest share of their digital marketing budget (12.5%) to digital advertising, compared to 9.4% to social media marketing activities. Mobile marketing took 7.4% of the 2012 allocation.
- According to the survey, the top priorities for increased budgets in 2013 are commerce experiences, social and mobile marketing, and content creation and management.
- When marketers were asked what percentage of your organization’s total marketing expense budget is allocated to digital marketing in 2012? 3% of the marketers responding to the survey said they are spending more than half of their marketing budgets on digital activities. The majority spends between 10% and 50% of their marketing budget on this marketing activities, the average is said to be 25%.
- The report says that it is becoming more difficult to count and allocate digital marketing spending as digital and traditional marketing techniques are merging. For 20% of companies, digital marketing activities have already been incorporated into each function within marketing, and budgets are no longer broken out separately. It is also expected that this trend would continue growth in areas such as second screen TV, social TV and QR codes integrate with traditional channels.