We recently came up with amazing stats, facts and figures about social media statistics 2013 and on the occasion of Facebook’s birthday we crunched some amazing facts, figures and stats about journey of Facebook in its past 8 years.
Pew Internet has now released its latest study about users of various social media sites in 2012. The study consists of demographics related to mainly five major social networks – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Tumblr.
These numbers are baked from a national survey conducted between November 14 and December 9, 2012 and the results are crunched from 1,802 respondents of internet users, where the margin of error is +/- 2.6 percentage points.
Out of 1,802 respondents, 15% of users said that they were on the visual social network. The study concludes that there are more female social networking site users in which, 50% of them were white (Non-Hispanic), more college educated users and users with a salary between $50,000 and $75,000 were found using social media sites more.
Important points crunched from the study:
Before moving further its important to know that fake accounts and users having multiple accounts often meddle in crunching exact number of users in social media sites and eliminating such accounts have proved to be next to impossible.
- Facebook, the largest social network which boasts over 1.1 billion users according to its Q4 2012 earnings. The study reveals that, Facebook is widely used among young adults.
- The study found that Twitter has more male users, who are black (Non-Hispanic), users between the ages of 18 and 29 and most users are from urban places.
- Also, Instagram saw more female users and that there are higher percentage of black and Hispanic users than users of white race. Users tend to be younger (between 18 and 29), as there is no much significant differentiation in the education levels and as more number of users earned less than $30,000 per year, we can come to a conclusion that more number of users are enrolled in some kind of studies in college.
- Pinterest finding sees more number of female users with more number of white users and most of them are enrolled in college, says the education attainment category. In addition, most of the Pinterest users are from rural urbanity with $50,000-$74,999 income/year.
- Tumblr is the least used among the social networks covered and most used by users aged between 18 and 29 with men and women using equally with 6 each. Also most of the users of this site are Hispanic with more than $75,000 household income/year.
- One thing is mostly common in the study, the highest percentage of users in all the social networking sites is grabbed by users aged between 18 and 29. But Facebook takes up the top position by grabbing 86% of users aged between 18 and 29 followed by Instagram (28%), Twitter (27%), Pinterest (19%) and Tumblr (13%). Also, a survey conducted based on two groups of social media users aged 13-18 and 19-25, to find out which social networking sites they preferred mostly, Tumblr and Snapchat were opted by these young generation users.
Refer the graph below to unveil rest of the stats,