In 2007 Dropbox was launched, followed by many more identical applications like Google Drive, Instagram, Flickr (Instagram and Flickr are used to upload and share only pictures). They are online file sharing and hosting services which have diversified the way users use to carry documents, music and photos etc. These services offer users to upload personal as well as shared content.
A gift for a user
Shared folders enables a user to share files with friends and any other people they wish to share. But the problem here is, getting the people informed or notified about what you have shared. Users might often want their updates to get notified instantly among their friends, and less tech-savvy friends would like to get updated through their e-mail. But this facility was not available until, Wappolf came up with a web service called iBeam.it. Users can instantly Beam their files to the connected people.
iBeam.it has tried to solve this problem in an interesting way, users just have to connect their Dropbox , Google Drive folder with iBeam.it – which generates a unique URL which can be used by others to follow your folder. Moreover, users can transfer(or as they say just Beam.it )their files on Facebook, Instagram etc — to Dropbox, Google Drive and vice-verse.
Sometimes users are unaware about the service that their friends are using to host their files, and they may choose to receive them inside Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, and other popular services. However, there is yet another problem faced by users, What about friends who are not using these file sharing services?? How will they notified?? iBeam.it solves this problem in a very alluring way, these friends can choose to follow your Shared Folder through their e-mail id, and your files will be delivered to them as e-mail.
Some more intriguing features
- Users can create beams from – Dropbox, Facebook, Instagram, Google Drive, Flickr
- Users can create a beam solely for pictures only
- Users can set a password for the beam
- Followers can decide to follow with – Email, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, FTP, Evernote, Google Cloudprint, box, Sugarsync
- For pictures only beams follow also with – Flickr, Picasa, Facebook, FB Pages, Twitter
- Users can decide to get all the files everytime or only the new ones.
- The beam is not a onetime sharing. It pushes future updates to your followers as well.
- There are 6 ways to invite people to follow your beam with a click
- Users can Create embed code for the Beam.it Button
- Users can Promote public beams on the main site
Interestingly, this service is for free of cost but you are only allowed to beam files up to 25 MB.