It has been some time when I mentioned about the various social media facts and figures which are enough to astound many marketers and advertisers. After a long battle among champions, the heat over Olympics 2012 held at London is finally coming to a slow-down, where athletes boasted their performance via Facebook. The overall Facebook usage went up very high during the Olympic event. And the social networking shark is showing various official stats related to Facebook during the Olympics.
Facebook stats updates during Olympic 2012:
- There were over 116 million posts and comments pertaining to various games.
- Over 12.2 million likes on Athlete pages were recorded between the opening and the closing ceremony.
- Over 850,000 people clicked on the like on Michael Phelps’ pages (Swimming) during the games. Currently, there are over 6.3M likes. On the 31st of July, an increase of over 1200% of the mentions containing his nickname as “Baltimore bullet”. Female fans led to an increase of 2700% with the nickname mentions, where on the other hand men helped with an increase of 925%.
- The great Jamaican (Running) Usain Bolt’s page was liked by over 1 million people. Now there are over 8.2 million likes.
- Jessica Ennis (heptathlon) initially had 108.7 k fans connecting to her Facebook page, which increased to 632% with 801,000 people connecting to her page.
- Jordyn Wieber (artistic gymnast) initially had 33,000 likes and later on got 288,000 more likes on Facebook. It is an increase of a whopping +818% with her total of 324k. Currently she has over 332K likes.
- With the an initial of 120k, Tom Daley (diver) saw an increase of 672% with a total of 1 million likes.
- Marcel Nguyen (Gymnast) with an initial page like of 7.5k got 193k new page likes. So it is an increase of +2524% with a total of 200k likes. Currently he has 202k likes.
- Gabby Douglas (artistic gymnast) had over 14,000 likes initially which further increased to 591k more likes. It is an increase of stunning +4045% with over 600k likes after the closing ceremony. Now she has over 668k likes. Her fans call her “Flying Squirrel”. And when she was given the gold medal on 2nd of August, there was an increase of 2000% in her nickname mentions.