So Facebook went public and the most awaited Tech IPO in history almost lived up to the hype. For a company that is barely 8 years old a valuation of $104 Billion is staggering to say the least. But then we live in the Internet age and in this age if you are an Internet based company/organization “anything is possible” sounds like a cliche.
Facebook is so darn popular that everyone I know, knows Facebook. That is incredible for two reasons, firstly because I am a socially active person and I know an awe-full lot of people, but more importantly because Facebook reaches out to people from all walks of life across all cultures and does so without being difficult to learn and manage, which is the hallmark of a great – App/Website/Service – because Facebook is all three, and more.
Facebook’s popularity has a lot to do with its ability to integrate to almost every kind of web service or app on the planet, what I am trying to say is that you don’t have to be logged into facebook.com to be using their services. You can be on your phone, or on your desktop reading a post on dazeinfo.com and still be using Facebook because when you like this post on our website it shows up on your Facebook Timeline and News Feed. They were among the very first to introduce the concept of social integration and that’s why they are valued at $104 Billion inside 8 years.
So let us give credit where it is due. Here are some pretty awesome Facts about the world’s favorite Social Network:
- Facebook has more than 900 million active users. If the company were a country, it would be the third largest in the world after China (population: 1.34 billion) and India (population: 1.17 billion).
- Facebook is the most popular social network in every country of the world, with the exceptions of China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and Vietnam. (Source : comScore)
- 488 million people use Facebook on mobile devices — more than half its members worldwide. (socialbakers.com)
- 3 of Facebook’s 4 co-founders Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz and Eduardo Saverin are now Billionaires.
- Zuckerberg’s net worth was estimated at $17.5 billion on the 2011 Forbes list of the wealthiest Americans, Moskovitz had a net worth of $3.5 billion and beat Zuckerberg for the title of the world’s youngest billionaire, being eight days younger, Eduardo Saverin, who left Facebook early on after a falling-out with Zuckerberg, had a net worth of $2 billion.
- Chris Hughes, Facebook’s fourth co-founders, was the man behind Barack Obama’s successful 2008 online presidential campaign.
- More than 300 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every day.
- Hollywood has already been bitten by the Facebook bug and “The Social Network” is a Golden Globe winning movie based Mark Zuckerberg’s days at Harvard and how he initiated Facebook. The movie is a work of fiction and facts combined.
- Facebook has an average of 526 million daily active users in March 2012. It had registered 125 billion “friend connections” as of March 31 and 3.2 billion “likes” and comments.
- With a market value at the IPO of $104 billion, Facebook is bigger than Amazon ($98 billion), Cisco ($89 billion), and more than twice the value of Ford Motor Co. ($38 billion). Incredible considering the others have been around far longer than Facebook.
It has been an incredible ride for this social network and there are no apparent weak lings or chinks in its armor. There are also no apparent competitors. At the moment Facebook is like Diego Maradona in his prime – super successful, super talented and unstoppable. Then again we shouldn’t forget every great story has an ending or at least a decline. Until that day comes (if ever) keep ‘Liking’ Facebook.