In last half decade growth of social networking sites and internet world has been exponential. They have grown in each and every segment of digital media. Even many of us are unaware of the fact that 44 percent of the overall online users are from Asian countries like India, China, and Indonesia. Disclosed Internet facts of 2011 have provided significant support to Internet & e-Business penetration.
Interestingly, near about 45 percent of the internet users from Asian countries are under the age group of 25. While the total number of registered “.com” TLD is closing to 100 million.
However, taking the close view at internet facts & figures in 2011, we come to know that it was a massive year for internet industry as well as for social media. A Recent study by Pingdom reveals that the stats for internet world as well as social media have changed enormously in 2011.
Study enlightens that Facebook user base had surpassed 800 million landmarks in 2011 and is approaching toward 1 billion in coming year. Apparently, near about 215 million users are added on Facebook in 2011 as its user base was 585 million in 2010.
One will be surprised to know that near about 350 million users login Facebook through their mobile phones and around 100 million of photos got uploaded on Facebook by mid of 2011.
Surprisingly, number of email account has already touched 3.146 billion worldwide; Of which, Microsoft Outlook share is around 27.6 percent. Also, on an average corporate users send and receive near about 112 million emails every day.
Interestingly, worldwide IM accounts for 2.6 billion compared to 2.4 billion social networking worldwide accounts.
Apparently, on an average 225 million users are associated with Twitter and out of which 100 million are active users in 2011. Also, MTV video music award had registered 8,868 Tweets per second.
Now, below is the list of other interesting events which took place in 2011
- 18.1 million – Number of followers of Lady Gaga.
- 250 million – Number of Tweets per day
- 1 – #Egypt was the top hastag
- $50,000 – It is the amount raised by the charity from the most re-tweeted tweets
- 39 million – Number of Tumblr blogs by the end of 2011
- 70 million – It is the total number of Word Press blogs by the end of 2011
- 1 billion – Number of message sent with WhatsApp in one day (October 2011)
- 555 million – Overall number of websites by year-end.
- 1 trillion – It is the Total number of video playbacks on YouTube.
- 40 – Around 40 years back first email was sent, in 1971.
The above facts of Internet in 2011 clearly indicate that ecosystem of internet is going through great transformation and adoption. Business as ell as users are being associated with ‘dot’ in scores with each passing day. Undoubtedly next 3 years are going to play vital role for e-Business as software paradigm is just witnessing a great shift.